Monday, February 16, 2015

New Work

I've been working on my portfolio a little.  Here is a step by step  (sort of) of my latest piece of cut paper art.  I really need to thank the wonderful Joy Chu for introducing me to cut paper.  So, thank you Joy, you opened up a whole new world to me.

This is how I start out...with a sketch.  Just an idea, kind of loose, but the idea of it is there.
Then, I tape down a piece of watercolor paper and paint it a nice background color, this one is painted with acrylic paint.  I let it dry, then I can start cutting and gluing paper shapes to it.  (This looks kind of abstract.)  I found out that having the heaving weight of the watercolor paper feels more stable to me, that's why I use it.  Any heavy paper would work.
Next, I start cutting and gluing my main figure together.  You can see she is not that large.  Still need to cut out her other hand.
And here is what the final piece looks like.    I got all finished with the bookcase and kept placing the girl on top to see what it would look like.  Just didn't seem complete.  So, I put a picture of a old woman in the background and a plant in the forground.  I think it looks more like a library now.  
Well, that was fun!
Thank you for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment